Driving Licence In Kenya 2022/2023
Driving Licence In Kenya 2022/2023
A driving license is issued as an authority to allow a person to drive a motor vehicle of any class on a road. No person shall be allowed to drive a motor vehicle on road unless he is the holder of a valid driving license or a provisional license endorsed in respect of that class of vehicle. No person shall be entitled to more than one driving license, but a driving license may be endorsed to permit the holder to drive one or more classes of motor vehicle.
Driving licenses shall upon expiry be renewed on production and upon payment of the prescribed fee. The renewal period will either be valid for a period of twelve (12) months or three (3) years from the date of issue at the option of the holder.
No driving license or provisional license shall be granted to any person
- Under the age of sixteen years;
- Under the age of eighteen (18) years, except in respect of motor cycles; or
- Endorsed in respect of matatus and motor-omnibuses, unless he
- Is over the age of twenty four (24) years; and
- Has for not less than four (4) years held a license endorsed in respect of motor-cars or commercial vehicles.
Any person driving a motor vehicle on a road shall carry his driving license or provisional license, and on being so required by a police officer, produce it for examination.
CONDITIONS FOR GRANTING OF DRIVING LICENSE
A licensing officer shall not grant an applicant a driving license endorsed in respect of any class of motor vehicle unless the applicant –
- satisfies the licensing officer that
- He has passed a test of competence to drive that class of motor vehicle and that he holds a certificate of competence
- Is the holder of a valid driving license for that class of motor vehicle granted by a competent authority in a member country of the Commonwealth, or
- Is the holder of an international driving permit
- Makes a declaration as to whether or not he is suffering from any such disease or physical disability which would be likely to cause the driving by him of a motor vehicle to be a source of danger to the public
- Is able to read, with glasses if worn, a motor vehicle identification plate at a distance of twenty five (25) metres. A person who is totally blind or blind in one eye is not allowed to hold a driving license.
If it appears to a licensing officer that there is reason to believe that the applicant for any driving license is suffering from disease or physical disability likely to cause the driving by him of a motor vehicle, of the class or classes in respect of which the application for a license is made, to be a source of danger to the public, such application may be disapproved unless the applicant –
- Produces a certificate from a medical practitioner stating that in the opinion of such medical practitioner the applicant is physically fit to drive the class or classes of motor vehicle in question; and
- Undergoes and passes a driving test
Provisional Driving License (PDL)
This is issued to an applicant who wants to undergo training in driving. It is endorsed in respect of any class or classes of motor vehicle which if he held a driving license he would be entitled to drive, in order that the applicant may learn to drive such class or classes of vehicle. This license is valid for three (3) months only but may be renewed for further periods of three months on payment of the prescribed fee.
- The applicant shall enroll in a licensed driving school and apply on-line.
- The holder of a PDL shall not be allowed to a drive on a road unless he’s in the company of a qualified driver holding a valid driving license for the class or classes the applicant has been permitted to drive.
Driving License Renewal
You can now renew your drivers license online, pay using mobile money services of your choice and print your renewal slip.
How do I get a driving Licence in Kenya?
The process is as follows:
- Log into the e citizen website.
- Select the NTSA portal.
- Select Make application then select driving licence.
- Select one year driving licence renewal.
- fill in the required details and pay the required fee.
- Download your licence and stick it in your red book.
How can I check my driving license in Kenya?
You can check your DL using the eCitizen and TIMS portal. All that you need to do is to log in or register on either of these platforms. Once you are logged in, you will be able to view all the details of your DL.
Is it compulsory to carry driving Licence in Kenya?
A pile of Kenyan driving licenses. If you are a licensed driver you will now be permitted to drive on Kenyan roads without physical licenses as long as you can prove by any other means that you are duly licensed.
How do I get a smart driving Licence in Kenya?
After logging in, navigate to the ‘Driving Licence’ tab on the top navigation bar. Click on the ‘Apply for Smart DL’ button. A new tab will be opened and you will be required to input your ID number, phone number, KRA PIN, and blood group to book for an appointment at the NTSA offices.
How long does a driving course take in Kenya?
2 -3 hours, The School provides driving lessons, theory classes and video programs which enable students to pass the basic Basic Mechanics Training, First Aid Training, Advanced Long Distance Driving, and the New Super Highways Course. The course durations which takes 3 – 4 weeks for 2 -3 hours vary according to your schedule.
How much is a driving Licence in Kenya?
A one-year licence on the other hand will cost Sh600 and Sh50 convenience fee. Driving licences for diplomats and Government contracted expatriates are issued for free.