How to File KRA iTax Returns Online
The iTax online platform has eased the life of the taxpayers in meeting various tax-based responsibilities. Filing KRA tax returns in iTax has become simple and easier. In Kenya, every registered taxpayer with a Personal Identification Number (PIN) obtained from the Kenya Revenue Authority (KRA) must file tax returns every financial year. Those who have no business or are not in gainful employment must file nil KRA tax returns.
The iTax filing system is designed to accept the various type of KRA returns such as Income tax related to the resident individual, corporates, partnership and indirect tax such as VAT and Excise. Based on your tax obligation, you need to choose the right type of iTax returns and file.
To know more on different types of KRA tax returns which you can file from the iTax online portal, please read our article ‘KRA iTax Returns’.
In this article, we will discuss how to file KRA returns online or iTax filing.
How to file KRA iTax returns online?
The steps to filing KRA returns is almost common for all type of returns, be it your income tax for an individual, income tax for corporates, or filing VAT returns. The only thing which differs from each type of tax return is the details which you need to furnish and the format in which you need to submit it.
For example, the type of details and format for filing KRA returns for income will be different from filing VAT return but the steps to file returns will be more or less similar.
The following are the steps for filing KRA returns.
- Visit the iTax filing portal using https://itax.kra.go.ke/KRA-Portal/
- Login to iTAX portal with PIN and password.
- Click on ‘e-Returns’ or select ‘Returns’ from the navigation menu and click on ‘File Returns’.
- Select the Type, Enter your taxpayer’s PIN and select the Tax obligation applicable to you and click ‘Next’.
- Based on the tax obligation you have selected, it opens the relevant tax form. For example, if you have selected ‘VAT’ as your tax obligation, it will open the VAT return form.
- This page will take you through the filling process and will have detailed instructions to file tax returns.
- The instruction will also have links to download the tax returns form in Excel or ODS format. Click the relevant link to download the template and save it on your computer.
- Fill all applicable areas in the downloaded tax returns form and save your document on your computer.
- Make sure you enable macros to be able to ‘Validate’ and Zip your File.
- Go to the iTax tax return filing page and select the period for which you are filing the returns.
- Upload the zip file and agree to the terms and conditions by ticking the checkbox.
- Finally, click ‘Submit’ button to upload the returns and click ‘OK’ for the pop-up message ‘Do you want to upload the form’
On filing KRA Returns, an e-return receipt will be generated with message return submitted successfully along with acknowledgment number.
To summarize, iTax filing process is very simple provided all the details required to be furnished in the downloaded excel is readily available with you. For business, it becomes much easier for filing KRA Returns, if they are using software which can auto-capture the details into excel format as prescribed in the iTax filing system and upload it to complete the process of filing KRA returns.
As discussed in the above section ‘How to File KRA returns’, the steps for itax filing is similar for all types of returns applicable for business and individual. This makes the process of iTax filing easier and simple.