How to get the new NTSA smart Digital Driving License
The National Transport and Safety Authority (NTSA) started rolling out the new generation smart driving licenses in April 2018. The new NTSA smart digital driving licenses look almost like the National ID and contain personal data including your Blood Group. The digital license will have a secure computer chip containing the driver’s information, which will only be readable through special electronic gadgets which are owned and will be managed by NTSA officials. A key feature of the card is the points system that sees points deducted for every traffic offence committed. The technology will encourage good driving habits and reduce the cost of motor vehicle insurance.
Currently, NTSA is in talks with insurance companies to facilitate a new premium pricing model that will partially rely on smart driving licenses to enable them to reward good drivers with lower premiums and raise those of bad drivers. NTSA will have a centralized database profiling driver behaviour where repeat offenders will lose points to an extent of having their driving licenses suspended temporarily or confiscated for good.
Other penalties include on-the-spot fines and/ or attending mandatory refresher driving classes. NTSA Director-General Francis Meja revealed that transactions for instant fines would be cashless in a bid to tame corruption.
Registering on TIMS
Follow the following steps on how to register on TIMS to create an account on the Transport Information Management System (TIMS) website by National Transport and Safety Authority (NTSA):
- Open your browser and direct it to tims.ntsa.go.ke
- On this page you will be presented with three options:
If you are visiting NTSA portal for the first time? Here’s how to register on TIMS
- Click on the Register an Account link will direct you to the eRegister An Account page. It is from this page that Individuals, Dealers, Agents, Financial Institutions and Companies register on the platform.
- Click on the Individuals option.
- You will be prompted to input your ID Serial No. Be careful not to input your ID Number as what is required is the Serial Number. If your have replaced your ID within the last two years you will have to use your old ID Card’s serial number. (In case the system rejects any of your details you are advised to visit NTSA offices)
- Add your KRA PIN Number.
- Add your Mother’s Maiden Name.
- Add your Occupation and Phone Number.
- Request a verification code by clicking on the button next to the phone number.
- Input the code you receive on your phone in the verification tab to complete the verification process.
- You are now registered on the TIMS platform.
- Head back to the home page tims.ntsa.go.ke and Sign In.
- Once you have changed your password, click on the “driving license” menu and select “Apply for smart DL”.
- You will be charged KES 3,050 and once you have completed the payment and it is processed, you will book an appointment with the NTSA
- At the NTSA offices, your details will be confirmed, a passport photo of you and your finger prints be captured
- After you have registered, your digital driving license will be ready for collection in 5 working days. (But this is taking longer due to the huge back log they have.)