Driving License Application Both old and New in Kenya
NTSA introduced the smart driving license in 2018. However you can still apply for or renew the old driving license since it is still in use. The National Transport and Safety Authority NTSA allows for application of driving license through the online eCitizen platform.
Qualifications for applying for a driving license
One can apply or renew a driving license if they are registered in the NTSA database system. If your information is missing in the NTSA data system you cannot apply or renew a driving license. One needs to get the necessary training from an approved driving school. Upon passing the driving test, one is issued with interim driving license which serves for a period of one year. This will permit you to drive while still waiting for your driving License to be processed.
How Much Does it cost to apply for a Driving License ?
To renew your old driving license for a period of one year it will cost you Sh. 650 while applying for a digital driving License will cost you Sh. 3050.
How to Apply for the renewal of old driving License
Currently NTSA has an option for the renewal of old driving license for a period of one year only. To renew your old driving license;
- Log in to your eCitizen account
- Click on National Transport and Safety Authority option
- Select ‘Make Application’
- Select ‘One year Driving License Renewal’
- Select ‘Apply Now’
- Select ‘Submit’
- Choose your payment method and pay
- Submit after making the payment
- Download and print your Driving License
How to Apply for a Smart driving License.
Smart driving license also known as Digital driving license is issued by the National Transport and safety Authority. To apply for the digital driving license you must first create a TIMS account.
Smart driving License Application Process
- Log in to your TIMS account
- Select Driving License
- Choose Apply Smart Driving license
- Update your profile with the correct details and choose your collection center
- Confirm and submit the details provided
- Select Pay
- Choose your preferred payment method
- Enter the Paybill Number 206206 and Account number generated (Mpesa Payment)
- Print out the Invoice
- Select the appropriate time and you will submit your forms and complete the application. If your preferred time and date is fully booked. Choose a date that is available on the system.
- Print out the booking page that appears next as it will be needed at the NTSA office. In case there is no print option for the page. Highlight copy and paste on a separate page to print it.
- Submit the form together with the payment invoice at the NTSA office you chose during application.
If you are trying to create a TIMS account but you get an error message “ This Person is not found” Here is the possible reason and solution.
How long will it take before I get my license?
Upon successful application of a digital driving license, it will take a period of one month before your license is ready. You will receive a confirmation message on your phone once the smart driving license is ready for collection. At this point you will collect your driving license at the NTSA office you presented your application. For the renewal of the old driving license, it is instantly downloaded from your eCitizen account after making the application.